Thursday 7 November 2013

Bitten by the baking bug

It's been a while since I wrote on this blog. There was hardly any inspiration. I just went about my regular routine. And then, I saw Tasneem Aunty bake lot of breads. Naturally, I was curious and interested. I used to do some baking in the microwave but nothing too fancy. And then, of course, being part of the Home Bakers Guild makes you fall in love with the array of creative cakes and breads and cookies the talented bakers make. And that's not just to eat but to learn to make.

And I wouldn't have done it but for S. When I was wondering if I should buy an oven, will I bake, will it be a waste of money and if I was getting too carried away by all that I see around me, S just told me go ahead and get it, for even if I bake just one, I'd have done with a lot of love. That sealed the deal for me. One fine evening, I went to a nearby super market to pick up a Bajaj 15L oven. It was small but I thought, if I can put this to good use, then I can perhaps get a bigger one later on.

For all those beginners out there, I am three months old into baking. I do not own any fancy equipment. I do not have a hand mixer / stand mixer. I use the good old whisk but then I really haven't done any SMBC, ABC or any of those butter creams. I haven't dabbled in meringues, macarons or complex flavours. I have bought more butter and sugar in the last three months than I have in the last 3 years.

If you are in Chennai, your best source for baking equipment is Viveka Essence, Currimbhoys & Passionate Baking and Sama Home Store.

Alright, I'll reserve the stories for another blog post. Now I'll post a recipe. I haven't quite experimented much and have stuck to tried and tested recipes. That said, I've made minor changes or used substitutes where applicable.

Herb and cheese pull aparts

Ingredients
All purpose flour - 3 cups (approx 375 gm)
Butter - 20 gm
Warm milk - 1/2 cup (approx 120 gm)
Milk - 1/2 cup - (approx 120 gm)
Salt - 1 TSP
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Instant Dry Yeast - 2 TSP
Sugar - 1 TSP

Filling
Your choice. I used chopped coriander, chili flakes and parmesan cheese.
About 1 tbsp melted butter

Method

Step 1: Tame the yeast. Yep this step can be bitchy and is the root cause of all failed breads. Add the sugar and yeast in warm milk and set aside for about 10 mins. It will stink. Ewww. Bear with it for that's what makes your bread soft. The yeast should froth nicely. Else the yeast has shown its ugly face; so buy a new box.

Step 2: This can be done by hand or if you are lazy like me, use a food processor. Add the flour, salt, ginger garlic paste and butter and pulse a few times. To this add the yeast mixture. Mix well. Add the milk in small quantities. You may not need all the milk. The dough should come together nicely. (Knead well if you are using your hand). If its sticky, add a little flour. The dough should be elastic and pliable.

Step 3: Place the dough in a well oiled bowl and roll it around so it gets coated with the oil. Cover with a kitchen towel or cling and keep in a warm place.

Step 4: It has to rest for an hour. So make yourself a cup of tea or filter kaapi and eat some murukku.

Step 5: By now, it would have doubled in volume. Punch it down.

Step 6: Now, make 4 balls out of that dough.

Step 7: Roll each ball into a rectangle. After having years of practice of making rotis, I can't seem to make a rectangle but managed a look alike. It should be about 1/2 in thick.

Step 8: Brush with melted butter. I don't have a brush, so used some tissues. Make sure you don't get the paper on the dough. Spread the chopped coriander, chili flakes and parmesan.

Step 9: Tightly roll from the shorter end like a log and pinch the ends to shut it. Cut into equal pieces. Repeat with the other 3 dough balls.

Step 10: Arrange these babies, cut side up on a baking dish - square, round, oval - doesn't matter. Leave some space between the pieces as it has to rise again and will expand in volume.

Step 11: Cover with the kitchen towel and let rise for another 30 - 45 mins.

Step 11.5: Go drink more tea.

Step 12: Pre heat the oven to 180 C.

Step 12.5: Brush the top of the breads with some milk and bake for about 30 mins until the top turns a nice shade of brown. My oven took 30 mins. Do keep an eye after 20 mins. Remember they'll continue to cook even after you get them outta the oven.

Serve warm. I have stored them outside for 5 days in airtight container. You can apparently freeze them too.

Recipe adapted from various sources on the internet.

6 comments:

  1. I was here,and loved your creative wow baking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply amazing :) any chance that this can be made with a pressure cooker or on an electric induction stove?

    ReplyDelete
  3. off to a friend's house to try this.. soon!! illaina unga veetukku thaan attack :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww Aunty :) It's all due to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mahesh: Pressure cooker - you can probably try the sand method - add sand to the bottom of the cooker and then bake this in dry heat. That's what oven is all about. Induction stove - no, unless you are using a pressure cooker on the induction stove :)

    Aaroo - :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is another one which I would like to try. Soonest. Please post many easy baking recipes, Deepa.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note, so I'll know you dropped by! Cheers