Friday 15 November 2013

Whole wheat bread - Easy Peasy

I was scared reading all the articles and posts about bread. So much so, that I thought it's perhaps the most difficult thing to bake. Knead -> rise -> knead -> rise -> bake is the process. And of course, there's the yeast.

Few things to note when baking bread

a. It's not as difficult as you think it is.
b. Read point a.
c. Use good quality flour.
d. Follow recipe to the T
e. Read point a.

This recipe is adapted from here. I halved the recipe and had to adjust the baking time too. But pretty much I stuck to recipe.

Ingredients:

3 cups whole wheat flour
salt - to taste
1/2 tbsp - honey
1.5 tbsp active dry yeast (or 1 tbsp instant yeast)
Water - about 1 cup or more.

Method:

a. If you are using the active dry yeast, proof the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and sugar.
b. I used a food processor to knead the dough. Dump the flour, salt, honey and proofed yeast in the processor and pulse a few times. It will sort of come together. Just let it rest for about 10 mins.
c. Now, add water (slowly) and run the processor to knead the dough.
d. The dough should be soft, pliable, not too sticky.
e. Take the dough in a bowl, cover and let rest and rise for an hour.
f. This wouldn't rise or double in volume like the all purpose flour. After an hour, punch down the dough and shape it like a loaf or free-form. (Gather the sides and sort of pinch the center).
g. Place the seam side down.
h. Cover and let it rise again for an hour.
i. The recipe says to be careful so the dough doesn't rise too much. But I don't how how to check that. I just went with my instinct. (Well, don't we all use a lot of that while cooking :D ) I timed this for around 45 mins.
j. After this, score the bread with a sharp knife. There's no particular way to do it. Just make slashes or patterns.
h. Place this in a pre-heated oven at 200 C and bake for 30 mins. When you tap on it, it should be hollow. That's a sign of the bread baked well.
i. Let cool (if you can resist).
j. Slice and enjoy with butter!

This is my first attempt and I am mighty happy with it, although I feel I could have baked this for a minute or two extra.



1 comment:

  1. super easy, tried and turned out great, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note, so I'll know you dropped by! Cheers