Tuesday 20 January 2015

Meet the Bakers - Cindana Manickavel

On this series so far, we've seen a pro baker, 2 dentists, one journalist turned author turned baker and now, let's meet a professional tennis player. Before your jaws drop, let's get on with our chat

Q. A pro tennis player eh! How was your childhood like?
A:  As I played pro, I kept shifting schools like crazy due to my schedule and lack of attendance . So my life was pretty much on the tennis courts and every little time I got off I would chill with my family & cousins ( we were a gang of 10 )

Q: And baking happened how?
A: After my post grad I was working part time as a tennis coach in the evenings. I had a lot of free time in the mornings when I started looking up recipes on Pinterest and started baking. Also I've always been interested in desserts so when mom asked us to cook at home, my sister would make the main course and I'll go for the dessert :) I baked my first cake when I was 12 :)

Q: What are you bringing to the table for this bake sale?
A: I'm sticking to my core USP - the dessert jars .. I'm making 9 flavours in total
Red velvet
Absolute red velvet
Coffee chocolate caramel
Carrot  caramel creamcheese
Blueberry cheesecake
Strawberry cheesecake
Oreo cheesecake
Eggless red velvet jars
Eggless coffee chocolate caramel

Q. Ooh. I love that. What else do you bake?
A: While I specialize in cheesecakes & cream cheese frosted cakes, recently my messy Nutella caramel chocolate cake has been a hit; hence I'm thinking about getting one cake for the bake sale as well!

Q. What's the future plan for Sugar Monkeys? 
A: A few years down the line I would love to open a small cafe on ECR

Q. What do you do when you aren't baking?
A: Like an typical girl in her 20's I catch up with friends, watch movies & shop like crazy :) well I do like designing so I kinda buy fabric and drive my tailor crazy :D







Monkey around with the goodies from Sugar Monkeys at Stall # 2 and perhaps get a tip or two from the professional tennis player?

All this and more, at the Grand Annual Bake Sale, on the 24th Jan, at Spaces #1, Elliots Beach Road, Chennai. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note, so I'll know you dropped by! Cheers