Friday 23 January 2015

Celebrating little moments with Butter Rum Cake

My first wedding anniversary is a good 5 months away. But I sure remember the day S told me he wanted to marry me. No, it was not a question. It was a statement. For those who have not yet read how the man proposed to me, hop over here to read the story. That day was yesterday a year ago and we sort of complete a proposal anniversary? What would life be if not for celebrating these little moments!

So here it is, a butter rum cake (S loves rum and I love butter and I thought why not put the two into something both of us love - cakes)



Ingredients:

For the cake:

1 egg
1/4 + 1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp dark rum (I used old monk)
60 gm butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
a pinch each of nutmeg and salt

For the glaze:

1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp dark rum (a little more if the glaze is too thick)

Method:

a. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C. Line a 6-in round pan. Butter the sides too.
b. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
c. Add the egg and beat well. Mix in the rum.
d. Add flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg and mix well. Do not over mix.
e. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 15 minutes. (refer notes)
f. Prepare the glaze by whisking the rum into the icing sugar. You should be able to pour it without it being too thin.

Let cool. Invert onto a plate and drizzle with the glaze. A dessert that doesn't take more than 30 minutes from start to finish is perfect for a Friday evening bake and for those impromptu celebrations.

Notes: I always err on the side of caution and bake at 175 deg for a min or two extra. 


1 comment:

  1. happy anniversary deepa....interesting choice of ingredients....but it looks so yummy in the pic that i can only imagine the taste...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note, so I'll know you dropped by! Cheers