Friday 16 January 2015

Meet the Bakers - Maaria Kulsum Tanveer

Do I need to introduce this baker? This lady never ceases to amaze me every time. Her zest for life is immense. Ever so warm with a smile on her face, she is the queen! Rightfully so. Have you ever been threatened to be taken to the police if you decide to not take an order? This lady was. Funny, but that's the kind of fan following she has.

Ladies and Gentlemen, please meet Maaria Kulsum Tanveer.

Some excerpts from our chat:

Q. You've expanded since we last spoke. A cafe in Bessy and one in Crossword store, Alwarpet. What more can we expect in 2015? 
A: Yes we have! 2014 was crazzy, demanding, surprisingly and a roller coaster! Too many unexpected things happened but sailed through it all. 2015 is gonna be all about stabilizing the new babies :) More new workshops and lots of interesting events.

Q. How do you manage 3 stores plus custom orders?
A: I have a good team touch wood who take care of the baking and follow my recipes. All custom orders are done by me and cafe work by the staff under my supervision. My bakery and studio moving right next to home has helped big time, I get to work more hours and still always be there for my family :)

Q. You have an amazing repertoire - chandelier cakes to gravity defying cakes. What are the other things that you would want to try this year?
A: Thank you! Always thank my amazing clients who give me a free hand to try new and challenging things. I would love to try more sculpted realistic looking cakes this year and more flowers.

Q. As a veteran, what tips do you have for first timers who are showcasing in the bake sale this time?
A.Don't over do it - meaning quantity. Don't stress over how many pieces you have. Concentrate on the flavours, Don't use anything which needs chilling and have chances of getting spoilt as the bake sale is in the open area. Keep your table and packaging very attractive :)

Q. And what are you bringing to the table? :) 
A: Haven't finalised yet but jar cakes for sure which were a huge hit last time. I will also be doing some totally new flavours. The pavlova will surely be there and some new flavours of cookies!

(And as I write this, Maaria is bringing motichoor cheesecake, Gulabjamun tiramisu and Coconut burfi chilli chocolate mousse)

Q. What do you do when you are not creating those awesome masterpieces?
A: I love to watch movies, travel and to sleep. So when i am not with my family i would be doing either of the three :P

Q. A budding baker in the family? :) You think she's going to follow your footsteps? 
A: Lol yes she is! In fact, both love to bake and experiment in the kitchen. It's too early to say if this is going to be their choice of career and we as parents definitely don't want to influence. Guide - yes. so lets wait and watch :)








So, watch out for Maaria's goodies at the Grand Annual Bake Sale - Stall #5, on 24th January, 2015 between 4 and 7 pm at Spaces, #1, Elliots Beach Road, Besant Nagar. Be early if you want to buy any of these.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a note, so I'll know you dropped by! Cheers